Monday, May 18, 2015

Character driven storytelling versus the outline

Dear progeny of my mind,

Yes, I hear what you are saying and yes your thoughts and opinions are important to me.
Love always,
Your Creator


There are days when the characters in my head are so loud that it is deafening. For my second novel I tried to work up an outline instead of pantsing it like I did with the first book of my series. While I have managed to stick with the main idea of my outline, one of my characters, Sally had other ideas. She was very clear that she was not thrilled with the outline and set out to make some major changes. I love Sally, she is a strong and vocal character. She was supposed to be dead body #1 and now is the driving force for the series.

I have a hard time keeping up with these characters but the ride has been amazing. I am not looking forward to the day when I will have to say goodbye to them. As hard as I tried to stick to an outline I think I have learned that I should just get a little better at reigning in the characters to slow them down. When I let them have full control I end up having to step back and clean up the mess, which I am attempting to do now.

To celebrate Seasons' two monthaversary I will be holding FREE sales through out the month. So please mark your calendars for these dates: Seasons is free May 20-21; 24; and 27-28th.


No comments:

Post a Comment