Monday, June 1, 2015

When did writers stop being readers?


In an effort to stay on top of the indie publishing business I read LOTS and LOTS of blog post, eMags, and trade magazines. While pursuing articles on promoting ebooks, I came across a piece of advice that was in several of the marketing tips and tricks articles. The central piece of advice they all shared was: writers need to stop marketing to other writers and to instead find and market to readers.

Now I do understand where they are coming from. It IS important to know who your audience is and how to reach them. The problem I had with this piece of advice was that it seemed to imply writers weren't a part of that target audience.

As a writer I now buy more ebooks from unknown authors that I meet through social media or in person. Last month alone I purchased 11 ebooks from people that I had met and conversed with on social media platforms. I also took the time to review all of the books that I read. In a way, authors are the best kinds of readers, because we totally get it!

So while you are planning out your marketing strategy don't forget that authors are also readers, often voracious readers at that.



Writer-readers: How often do you read books from other authors that you have met online or in person?

Thank you for reading and taking time to review the books that you read. 

KM Hodge is the author of The Syndicate Series of Suspense novels. 
Seasons (Book #1) is available for free on Amazon June 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment